The Boathouse was acquired in 2008 through the generosity of the Norton family. The present structure replaced an original wharf building that was destroyed in the hurricane of 1944. For generations, it has been the waterfront headquarters of Norton sea captains, and it contains a rich collection of maritime artifacts and photographs. It was acquired in the 1940’s by Capt. Samuel Norton, a sailor and yachtsman who captained the Manxman, the largest cruising yawl in the world. The Boathouse was donated to the Preservation Trust by his children; S. Bailey Norton, Floyd Norton and Drucilla Park in 2008. The Nortons were among the first settlers of Edgartown in the 1640s. The Trust is most grateful to the Norton family for their farsightedness in preserving the boathouse for generations to come.
Norton Boathouse, 45A Dock Street, Edgartown, MA, United States
Public street parking