Ultimate Responsive Image Slider Plugin Powered By Weblizar

Old Whaling Church

Designed by Fredrick Baylies, Jr., the Old Whaling Church was built by Edgartown’s prosperous Methodist whaling captains and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in New England. In addition to the stately Doric columns supporting a classic pediment, the exterior features a Gothic style bell tower which houses the Town Clock.

Skilled shipwrights were used to construct the Church, which was framed with massive timbers brought from the mainland. The trusses which support the roof are made from hand hewn 2’x2’ beams, representing a very impressive feat of Nineteenth Century engineering and craftsmanship. Of particular note in the building’s main hall are the original whale-oil lamps and a dramatic trompe l’oeil architectural mural by Swiss artist Carl Wendte, who worked with Baylies on several churches on Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket.

In 1980, the Trust acquired the Church from the Methodist congregation, which continues to use it today. It also serves as the venue for Town Meeting, weddings, lectures, concerts and other civic events.

Built: 1843
Capacity: 500

Old Whaling Church

89 Main Street, Edgartown

Public street parking

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Old Whaling Church, Edgartown, MA United States

loading map - please wait...

Old Whaling Church, Edgartown, MA United States 41.390585, -70.515233