The Village Green lies at the center of Edgartown’s original village settlement, originally founded as Great Harbor in 1642. The Green has been preserved as common green space for more than 350 years and today is a small park connecting four in-town commercial streets. Threatened by a plan to develop it as a parking lot in 1946, the Village Green and two adjacent commercial properties were acquired by the North Water Street Corporation in an effort spearheaded by Henry Beetle Hough. Today, the Green is preserved for future generations by the Preservation Trust.
Village Green, 12 North Water Street, Edgartown, MA, United States
Public street parking