The original West Garden was created during the property’s ownership by Senator Butler, who purchased and relocated smaller residences on either side of the Fisher House to create two great lawns. There is little documentation as to the original design, although a photograph from the early Twentieth Century shows a small garden structure to the rear, approximately in the present location of the Peabody Gazebo. The formal design, with an allée of Bradford Pear Trees, a herringbone brick walkway, planting beds and a rose garden, is appropriate to the period of the Fisher House. Also featured is a central fountain in memory of John M. Morgan, whose family generously contributed to the garden’s reconstruction through the Begary Charitable Trust.
Built: 1890, Restored 2010
Dr. Daniel Fisher House, Edgartown, MA United States
Public street parking